by contentment, supreme joy is gained

contentment means just to be as we are without going to outside things for our happiness

Monday, August 1, 2011

my road

after a wonderful trip back home to my native belize, i came back to miami feeling a out of place and homesick.

missing my then long distance boyfriend had become a dull ache that seemed to live and breathe within me. and our relationship was held together by the most fragile of threads.

i can't seem to find the right analogy ... but let's give this a shot ... the ropes that bound us together was beginning to fray as a result of a number of things ... and though the ropes will probably never truly break, they have certainly snapped leaving the thinnest, yet strongest, gossamer threads.


as a child i was a whirligig of emotions and dreams and grand plans ... but as i got older, it became harder to translate those things into concrete plans and actions ... and i found myself questioning whether my commitment to endeavors and my ability to follow through

so initially, living in denial as we [the human condition] are wont to, i chose yoga as a means to commit to living a healthier and happier life. my current job is quite sedentary, my lifestyle is sedentary and by nature i don't enjoy my strenuous or more blatant forms of exercise.

really though, it was a means to cope with the loss of a relationship that had consumed my entire adult life (and half my lifespan). and in an even bigger way, it has added to my arsenal in the seemingly never-ending battle against depression.

this is not even mentioning my obsessive and rigorous schedule of two or three hours per day, everyday, for more weeks than i care to admit.

so i started yoga with the firm determination that it would not be a passing phase, as had been too many things in my years in this world. that i would hopefully gain as much from it as it seemed so many others do.

so the days rolled into weeks, the weeks into months. and eventually i felt confident enough in myself to step out and into the light and instruction of a formal yoga class (versus stagnating with my youtube videos)

attending classes at the medical wellness center has given me so very many things that i can't even begin to start explaining. and i am absolutely certain that the benefits i reap now will never be known in full, and that i won't ever know the full scope of how yoga has changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment